Ever feel like nothing is going right? That you try so hard to accomplish something, yet it falls to pieces? You know you are supposed to pray without ceasing, yet you are getting weary of waiting for an answer?
It’s time to create a blessings book! When I fall into times of depression, or even self-pity, it’s easy to think the world is against you. It seems that God doesn’t hear you… but He does. Maybe your heart isn’t ready to be comforted by Him. And that is what this task will accomplish! A thankful heart is a happy, receptive heart.
So here’s how you make a Blessings Book!
- Get a notebook, or even better, go to a neat store (I like Ross!) and buy a cute journal. If you like sparkles, the more sparkles the better! You can even get journals/diaries online. Make it something you enjoy looking at. If you need to stay on budget, any spiral notebook will work!
- Open to the first page. Label the top of the page something like “blessings”, “things to be grateful for”, or “joyful moments”.
- Start your list! This may be really hard at first, but I implore you to keep going! Write down at least 3 people you are grateful for. This can be a friend, family, or spouse. If you aren’t feeling positively about the people in your life, look for a quality you do like in them.
- List things you enjoy and are grateful for. Flowers, sunsets, a kind word from a coworker, how the rain makes everything clean and fresh, a favorite song… be creative!
- Write down the attributes of God that you appreciate. Even on our bad days, God still cares for us! He loves us deeply, and doesn’t like to see us in pain. He is loving, gracious, merciful, and gives us strength.
- Make sure you have at least 10 things on your list! Every time you think that nothing is going right, open up your blessings book. Read the things you wrote, then add more. This part is important, because it refocuses you on God and His truth, not the lies the devil tells you so that you stay in darkness.
- Let God permeate your blessings book with His light and truth! For added spiritual encouragement, write down Bible verses that encourage you in your book. Reference these to shed light on your current situation. Memorize them so that when depression knocks, you can use scripture to ward it off, and choose to seek the Lord and His goodness instead.
I hope you enjoy making your own blessings book! I’ve made many blessings lists over the years, and they never fail to lift my spirit and perspective to one of gratefulness! If you are still having trouble thinking of blessings in your life, pray for God to reveal them to you. Many situations have a silver lining when you look deep enough.
Email me if you need any help or prayers! It’s always an honor to pray for you.